Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sunshine Cleaning

Anyone who knows me know that my respect and admiration for Amy Adams runs deep. So it is perhaps unsurprising that I adored Sunshine Cleaning. However, before you assume that I'm just a fan girl with no critical eye, let's examine the criticism leveled against this film.

A.O. Scott (who, for once, I totally disagree with) writes, "I’m thinking of a movie. Wait, don’t tell me, it’s on the tip of my tongue. It takes place in Albuquerque. There’s a beat-up old van, a lot of family dysfunction, a cute kid, a get-rich-quick scheme that doesn’t quite work out as planned. Alan Arkin is the grandpa. The title? Something about 'Sunshine.' No, not that one. 'Little Miss Sunshine' came out in 2006. Why on earth would I be reviewing it now? I’m wondering that myself. A better title for the movie I am supposed to review — for the record, it’s 'Sunshine Cleaning,' directed by Christine Jeffs from a script by Megan Holley — would be 'Sundance Recycling,' since the picture is less a free-standing independent film than a scrap-metal robot built after a shopping spree at the Park City Indie Parts and Salvage Warehouse."

First, there are many movies out there that recycle BAD scripts and BAD actors and yet continue to draw large audiences and fans. I'm thinking specifically of movies made by the Wayans Brothers or Aaron Seltzer (Scary Movie 1 through 3289673, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Dance Movie, etc, etc...). I would much rather we recycle Sunshine than crap.

Second, nothing about Sunshine Cleaning was forced or manipulated. There is a joy in the way the girls manage to stand up for themselves while learning to trust others. Case in point, two main characters (whose names I will not disclose to avoid writing "SPOILER ALERT") aren't romantically linked at the end of the movie. I was pleasantly surprised with how simply and naturally the story unfolded. Sunshine Cleaning lacks a lot of the intentional quirkiness of Little Miss Sunshine in favor of the mundane. The van in Sunshine Cleaning doesn't break down or cause any hilarious antics, it's just a run-down crappy van that Rose is forced to drive for her business. But the van does play an important role in the Lorkowski's life nonetheless, as cars are want to do.

Finally, a shout out to the Kimball Theatre for bringing Sunshine Cleaning to Williamsburg. I thought I would have to wait until it's DVD release. So glad that I didn't have to.

No comments: