Wednesday, August 13, 2008

a must read ...

An interesting article from a Phoenix newspaper....

I confess to being annoyed to the point of tears by the 2008 Presidential race. The role that the media has played in the political games and goings-on in the past 12 months have made me lament what politics in America has become. It's the media studies student in me that finds myself more and more ambivalent about the differences between John McCain and Barack Obama and more and more angry about the way the news media has distorted politics.

I can hardly listen to what the candidates are saying anymore; it all starts to sound like the teacher from the Peanuts cartoon (wah, wah, wah, wah, wah ...)

BUT, I can't get enough of all the commentary about the news commentary (postmodernism at its best).

I don't agree with the groups who, post-Hillary-Clinton-dropping-out-of-the-race, called for women and minorities to NOT vote for Barack Obama. However, I completely agree with groups who, post-Hillary-Clinton-dropping-out-of-the-race, called for women and minorities to boycott the major news networks. A quick google search turns up a couple of interesting websites to this effect: Women Boycott MSNBC, The Real Spiel, and quite a few others.

Although I'm also seeing a lot of articles about Hillary calling on Bush to boycott the Olympics, which is a whole different story ...

No comments: