Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I guess my first question in response to the TV Newser article, Has the Media Been Unfair to Sarah Palin?, is has the media been fair to any of the candidates?

I've also been reading this Newser article, Beating the Press, about McCain's rejection of the major news networks that helped him cultivate his image as a maverick in Congress.

It seems to me that in the past 8 years the *quote* liberal *unquote* media has gotten more and more conservative. I know that others would disagree. I think regardless of the label you would give, the argument remains that the press - particularly the 3 major cable news networks (Fox, CNN, and MSNBC) are filled with biased reporting. I will concede that their bias changes depending on the PICK ONE: anchor/reporter/event/month/day/hour/direction-in-which-the-wind-blows. Whichever way you think the media bias leans, it seems apparent to me that we have come a long way from Tom Brokaw's trusted reporting on NBC Nightly News.

The fact that the word "swiftboating" even exists calls the motives of cable news networks into question. I often wonder if certain individuals within the Fox, CNN, and MSNBC hierarchy believe they are reporting on the election or determining the outcome of the election.

I applaud MSNBC's decision to remove Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews from election coverage. At least it confirms that they are trying to remove bias and opinion from their political coverage. It remains to be seen how successful they are.

No comments: