Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Google Reader + Sally Hawkins + Kiera Knightly rant

As I was scrolling through my Google Reader feed this morning, imagine my surprise to see this headline "Sally Hawkins lands role in 'Never Let Me Go': Is she destined for big things" I just watched Happy-Go-Lucky last week and have been contemplating why I didn't love the movie and/or Ms. Hawkins' acting as much as I had expected.

That being said, I always love it when a critical darling becomes successful. So I have checked out Kazuo Ishiguro's book from the library and am eagerly awaiting the release of Never Let Me Go. I don't think I have ever eagerly anticipated a movie starring Kiera Knightly before, but there's a first time for everything.

On a side note, why does Kiera Knightly always star with such fantastic supporting characters (Johnny Depp, Jack Davenport, Orlando Bloom, Mickey Rourke, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, James MacAvoy, etc.)? You'd think they would cast her opposite another mediocre actor who would make her seem more talented by comparison. And now apparently, Kiera Knightly is being considered for the role of Eliza Doolittle in the remake of My Fair Lady. Ew!

TANGENT (I promise this will help me make my point): While watching parts of the Easter movie trifecta this weekend - Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and Sound of Music (thank you, ABC Family Channel) - I got in a discussion with my mom about how Doris Day was originally offered the role of Maria Von Trapp. What a travesty that would have been! Imagine a world where Julie Andrews did not play Maria Von Trapp and - I can only assume - what is one of the greatest movie musicals (if not movies) of all time would have been merely a flash in the pan success with no real staying power. Instead, Julie Andrews did get the part and did a phenomenal job. She has had a mind-boggling career playing some of the greatest roles in movies and on the stage (Mary Poppins, Maria Von Trapp, Cinderella, Eliza Doolittle, and the Nanny from Eloise, just to name a few of my favorites). Julie Andrews played the role of Eliza Doolittle on Broadway opposite Rex Harrison, but she did not get to play Eliza Doolittle in the film adaptation of My Fair Lady. Audrey Hepburn snagged the part, but did not get to do her own singing.

And now back to my rant about Kiera Knightly. Why? WHY?! She gets tons of fun roles and great parts, but from what I have seen she can't act her way out of a paper bag. Joe Wright who directed Ms. Knightly in the most recent adaptation of Pride and Prejudice slams her acting ability in the director's commentary of the film. And yet she's being considered for a role that not even the great Julie Andrews was worthy enough to play on film. Kiera Knightly butchered my image of Elizabeth Bennett and I will not allow her to do the same to poor Eliza. This will be one remake that I avoid altogether.

No comments: